Peace...and a good measure of love


One of the three women I have the blessing to call “Pastor” has a way with words like no one else I know. Her name is April, and she is the co-pastor of Glendale Baptist Church in Nashville, TN. Now that I’ve moved away from Nashville, I rely on copious email communication to keep April in my life on a regular basis. Every email, in addition to having a reply to my question, concern, or rant, has bits of wisdom and spiritual direction woven in.

This morning I received an email back from April after sending her some information about an event the organization I work for is putting on in January. In her response, she closed with a phrase that stuck out to me: “Peace, and a good measure of love to you.”
I think that this phrase will be my theme for Lent this year. Last year, on Ash Wednesday, a beautiful little girl died in a car wreck. Her name was Emmie. She was a beacon of light, a spirit of pure joy. Her death came minutes after her mother, another of my pastors, placed ashes on her forehead. Thus, it would be impossible to enter into Lent this year without recognizing that loss. Many of us last year said that we were forced to give up too much for Lent. Indeed, we were.
This year, it is my goal to focus on peace, peace in my life, and the peace I might have the opportunity to bring to the lives of others. And, of course, a good measure of love. The season of Lent is a time meant to discover how to be more fully human. It is a time to learn how to be fully joyful, fully alive, and fully present. It is a time to return to God.
I am reminded of the words of the prophet Joel: “‘Even now’, says God, ‘Return to me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Rend your hearts, and not your clothing. Return to your God who is gracious and deeply loving, quick to forgive, abundantly tender-hearted, and who relents from inflicting disaster.’” (2:12-13)
So as we enter the season of Lent, I encourage you to let your truest self come out. Take time to contemplate, to grieve, to hope, to dream, to do whatever you need to do in order to draw closer to the Holy. Give something up, be intentional about something, go to church more (or less)…whatever is necessary for you to find yourself closer to God. Allow yourself to be blessed.
I wish you all peace, and a good measure of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate