In the absence of self-care


I am sitting in a Panera in Cleveland, TN on this early, rainy Monday morning. This is the first Monday in recent memory that I haven’t been rushing to wake up and roll out of bed to speed off to work. It is also the first time in almost a year that I have left Charlotte, NC for more than one day. I’m on vacation…something I haven’t really experienced in quite a while.


As I sip on my delicious tea (yes, I brought my own into Panera, but I bought a bagel, so I don’t feel bad), I am reminded of a time when I was in school at Belmont University and attended a spiritual formation retreat. Much of our conversation on that retreat was centered on self-care and the importance of taking time to stop, listen, and breathe. We discussed taking time out of each day for reflection, contemplation, and meditation. It was an incredible retreat away from the busyness of my last semester of college.

Over the last year, my work has had me going non-stop. This is the first real time off I’ve taken the entire year, and I have determined to do very little, if any, work-related tasks. In the absence of self-care over the last year, I have found myself burnt-out, unable to interact with other people properly, and constantly tired. I have only written blogs five times in the last year, whereas I once was a blogging juggernaut. I have been stuck in a rut. And I’m hoping that taking these two weeks off work to visit friends and relax will help pull me out of my stasis.

I plan to drink a lot of tea (instead of selling it), and I will absolutely be enjoying great food and wonderful friends. Autumn is slowly creeping in here down south, and these little rainstorms are gradually cooling the air. Even now, as I emote via blog, the sun is peaking out from behind the clouds, and it seems as if even my surroundings are saying, “It’s time for you to take a break.”

And so I will. Today begins my two weeks of intentional self-care and rejuvenation. Here’s to good friends, good food, and good tea. Blessings and peace to all of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate