The theology of my body: Lenten promises


This year for Lent, I am not really focusing on giving anything up. Instead, I am focusing on ways to improve the way I live my life. While there is a definite spiritual component (which I’ll get to), the bulk of my focus is on my physicality. I am being intentional about the way I eat. While there are many different scripture passages that deal with food, I am always drawn to the passage at the end of the sixth chapter of 1 Corinthians:
“You must know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is within you – the Spirit you have received from God…So glorify God in your body.” (The Inclusive Bible)
This speaks to more than just food, but to fitness, about the body as a whole. It doesn’t point out gluttony or drunkenness. So often those passages are used to call alcohol evil or are twisted to change the meaning of gluttony to focus on material things. So instead of looking at those kinds of scripture, I like that the writer of 1 Corinthians reminds us that our bodies are fully important, that they are holy.

So for Lent (and beyond), I am being intentional about what I eat. As little preserved food as possible. Fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole grains. Eating just enough and not too much. I am also being intentional about exercise and getting enough sleep. All of these things add up to focusing on my body’s health.
I am giving up alcohol for the season of Lent. That’s not because I get drunk often or drink regularly. But I want to abstain from something that I enjoy, something that is considered a cultural norm for someone my age. Will I miss it? Not really, but every time I am offered a glass of wine or bottle of beer, I will remember the commitment I have made for this season to focus on the health of my body.
I believe that’s what giving something up for Lent is about. It isn’t about depriving yourself of pleasure or seeing if you can go without soft drinks for 40 days “just because”. Whatever you give up is something that will remind you of what Lent is about. It is a red flag that reminds you to be intentional in your spiritual journey or intentional about spending time alone. Whatever you give up should simply serve as your marker to say a prayer or meditate. It is not a contest, though it may be a challenge. Lent is a reawakening of self in the context of the Holy.
As you think about what you have given up or what you have decided to be more intentional about, ask yourself, “Why did I choose this thing?” Was it arbitrary? Was it suggested to you? And as you continue on the journey of this season, take time each day to be aware of how this time may change you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate