I am resolved... (part 2)


I am resolved to do things differently this year. I am finding out that I have a fair bit of time on my hands post-graduation, pre-working. While I anticipate having a job of some sort secured by next week, I will still have a significantly larger amount of time on my hands than when I was in school. So I'm going to be intentional with my time.


I am going to write. A lot. I have missed writing for fun, whether it be fiction or poetry or academic essays. I am ready to start writing again. I have at least three ideas for novels (two of them begun), and there is a lot more I have to say about topics I studied in school. So at least there's some direction there.

I am going to read for fun. My book list has almost reached triple digits, so I believe it's time for me to get cracking. I want to branch out in my reading though. There are books I want to re-read for sure, but I am going to think outside my own literary box. I just began reading the first of the Felix Castor novels by author Mike Carey. It is my first legitimate foray into the world of contemporary adult fiction. I'm pretty excited about this.

I am going to stand up for the things about which I care deeply. This covers myriad topics, so I won't go into detail here. But as I've ranted previously in blogs of past, even if it makes me unpopular with those around me, I will not let talk that is racist, homophobic, sexist, or otherwise demeaning of any person go on around me. It is not something about which I will compromise.

Now that I've worked through my grief over moving back to Hoover from Nashville (I've already worked through the first four stages of grief and am feeling my way into the final stage), I am ready to start living again. I want to make new friends here and rekindle old friendships. It's time for me to prove to myself (if not to those around me) that I have grown up a little bit...only a little bit. But I hope that's enough for me to live into this new season of my life in a mature way. I'm still a little terrified about the unknowable abyss in front of me, but I will take it one day at a time.

In essence, I am resolved to live. And that's good enough for me...for now anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate