Sermon from the Westboro Baptist Church protest

My God Loves

This morning we have gathered to show these guests in our town from Westboro Baptist Church that we believe they are wrong, that we believe they are bastardizing the Word of God. I’m here today simply because I have to be. I am a lay member of Glendale Baptist Church here in Nashville. We are a caring community of equality and grace that celebrates diversity, champions social justice, and encourages honesty. I must be honest: it’s groups like the Westboro Baptist Church that make me ashamed to call myself a Christian. For many gathered here, the church has been the ring-leader for oppression and hatred. Groups like the Westboro Baptist Church have done nothing but further that idea. It is unfortunate that churches, which should espouse love and inclusion, have so often done the exact opposite.

Today churches around the world celebrate Pentecost, the end of Eastertide and the beginning of a new season in the liturgical year. How beautiful is it that we stand here on ground that is made holy by our communion? In the Bible, the second chapter of Acts tells us that on the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came upon the believers gathered together. They were filled with the Spirit, and they experienced miraculous things. It is appropriate that we are here today on the day of Pentecost standing united, the Spirit upon us as it was two millennia ago.

As at Pentecost, we are many, varied, and different, drawn together with a common goal. We should not be here to fight. We should not be here to argue. We are here to show that God’s love is all encompassing. God calls us to live in community, loving one another unconditionally, just as God has loved us.

The Revised Common Lectionary points us to the 8th chapter of Romans for one of today’s readings. We find in verses 14-16 a perfect example of God’s inclusive love. It reads: For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, "Abba! Father!" it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God.

“All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.” It does not say, “Only those who believe as we do are children of God.” It does not say, “Only ultra-conservative heterosexual bigots are children of God.” Nor does it say “Only liberal social activists are children of God.” It says ALL. We are lucky that God does not love by our standards. No, we are infinitely blessed that God does not love by our standards. You see, I find it hard to love the members of Westboro Baptist Church…I really do.

But I’m reminded that if I am to claim the unconditional love of God for myself, then I must be willing to show that love to those who disagree with me, who say terrible things about those I love, those who, quite frankly, piss me off. Yet I must do it, because I believe in a loving God. I do not believe my God hates. That is why these words I have spoken are not for the Westboro Baptist Church but for the rest of us here. We can get riled up as much as we want. Or we can give the most powerful counter-protest possible to slogans like “God Hates Fags.” We must simply respond, No…God doesn’t hate, God loves. God loves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate