Books and things

My bookshelves are filled with a fascinating array of texts from all across the spectrum. My paperback Harry Potter series (hardback is currently in storage) shares a shelf with my LGBT resource books and a small collection of hymnals. My "favorites" are wedged between a couple autobiographies and books about walking the labyrinth. But there is one entire shelf dedicated to books about theology.

Just so I'm being transparent, about half my books are currently in storage. When I moved into my apartment in Philadelphia, I had to downsize to one bookshelf due to limited space. I had two meticulously curated piles of books upon packing my life up in DC. The books in storage don't mean any less to me, to be sure. But I knew there were some texts I wouldn't need for a year or two (and I won't go into the several tubs of books currently store in my parents' attic).

I have realized, though, just how few of the books on my theology shelf have been fully read. I did a lot of skimming in my last year of college as well as looking for specific passage in paper-writing. So too many of the books on my shelf are only partially read, if read at all. Add to those the myriad books I've collected over the last six years with the intention of reading that never fully panned out and you'll find several years worth of reading material.

In this time of rejuvenation and discernment I've entered, I've had a lot of time on my hands to sort through some of these books, and I'm making a concerted effort to read consistently. If my path of discernment does lead to seminary eventually, I can't expect to walk back into a classroom eight years removed from school and fall back into good study habits. So, I have made the first of many reading lists and a reading schedule to help me brush up on my academic reading skills.

In addition to books I never finished (and never started), my first list includes a couple books I've read before. These books had a profound impact on me when I read them, but it has been several years since. I'm a fan of re-reading books like this. Not unlike re-reading Harry Potter, there is always something new to discover. I've also tried to organize the books in an order that has me changing up the style and content as I move from book to book. For example, a book about a theological construct will be followed by a book about contemplative practice.

I present to you discernment book list number one:

The Moral Vision of the New Testament by Richard B. Hays
The Liturgy Explained by James W. Farwell
Living on the Border of the Holy by L. William Countryman
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
The Active Life by Parker Palmer
The Seed by Jon Gordon
The Rosary Handbook by Mitch Finley
Take This Bread by Sara Miles
Meeting Mystery by Nathan Mitchell
A Little Exercise for Young Theologians by Helmut Thielicke
Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
Soul Making by Alan Jones
Sexism and God-Talk by Rosemary Radford Ruether
Living Prayer by Robert Benson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Cutting the line