Finding God in the Rhythm

I was originally drawn back to church six years ago by the liturgical practices of a little, liberal Baptist church in Nashville, TN. My academic studies in theology had introduced me to types of liturgy that had been foreign in the churches of my childhood, but it wasn't until Glendale Baptist that I actually encountered them.

While the equality and grace that were at the center of this caring community certainly were a major factor in my decision to join up with them, it was through the rhythm of the liturgies that I found God again.

I continued to connect with progressive Baptist congregations like this over the following years, exchanging the contemporary for the ancient and disorganization for structure. 

I write all this to say that I am no stranger to deep and meaningful liturgy. And while my love for the Baptist churches in my life will never wane, I have enjoyed being an occasional Episcopalian over the last few months.

Yes, the smells and bells of high mass were new to me, but they weren't frightening. The kneeling and reciting and crossing weren't practices I had fully encountered before, but they didn't scare me off.

Remember, I find God in the rhythm.

So when my boyfriend gave me my own copy of the BCP today, I felt as though I could finally spend time learning more than just the melody of weekly services. I can stop sight reading every Sunday and find myself singing harmonies, if you will.

I will never give up my Baptist heritage. In fact, that's the beauty of being Baptist: I don't have to. But I am looking forward to exploring where I might fit in with The Episcopal Church. I doubt I'll ever be what one would consider a tame Episcopalian, but I bet I could be a good one.

One of my favorite benedictions from my time at Glendale Baptist is one I still carry with me. It is one that speaks deeply to the way I find God in the rhythm of worship and the rhythms of life:


As we continue our worship in the daily patterns of life, may we immerse ourselves in the mystery of the Holy, and may we always seek to dwell where love is the language most spoken and peace the path most taken. Amen.

Comments

  1. Love this benediction and as always I love your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this benediction and as always I love your writings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate