They will, in fact, know us by our love


Lately I’ve been in that place again where I don’t think my faith can take another hit. I have not stopped believing in a Jesus who loves me. I have not stopped believing in a God that does in fact care about me, despite what my often cold, philosophical mind might try to have me believe. But every so often I get to a place where I just don’t think I can stand to call myself a Christian anymore. When the message that my friends hear all around them is one of intolerance and hatred, I have trouble associating myself with a belief system that has been polluted by venomous rhetoric.

But every time something brings me back. This time, I was more aware of my struggle than normal. I knew what I was feeling, and I understood what caused it. And, in an effort to claw my way out my valley, I attempted to force my own reconciliation. I sent a cry of help to my pastors who responded with kindness and understanding. I wanted them to make me feel better. They did everything right, but it didn’t work.

I tried to lose myself in books written by wiser people than me. Often these texts have helped me on my journey, and I thought that they might this time. The words crumbled in my mind, having no effect whatsoever on my soul’s wellbeing.

I had all but given up.


Then tonight I listened to the sermon my pastor back home in Birmingham preached this morning. Her words reminded me why I choose to call myself a Christian. She spoke of why our church welcomes everyone…because Jesus would. She told us about how she encountered the hate-filled sermon of Charles Worley this week. After she and her husband listened, they sat in silence for a moment. Her husband noted that it was unlikely Sarah would preach the Hell out of anyone, but told her, “You better get ready to preach the love of God into us.”

And this is the key to it. This is why I choose to call myself a Christian. Because in the face of the hatred, of the atrocities that have been committed throughout history right up to this current time we live in, the person of Christ is THE example of true, unconditional love. While pastors across our country are abusing their role and bastardizing scripture, my pastors, in Nashville, Birmingham, and Charlotte, continue to preach a message of love in the face of ignorance. More importantly, they are Baptist. Even more importantly, they are not alone.

The earliest lesson I remember being taught in Sunday school as a child was the simplest lesson of all: God is love. And yet it is this lesson that we forget most quickly. It is certainly a lesson that all of us could do better to remember. We can talk about theological constructs and the nature of God, and we spout eschatological musings until we are red in the face. BUT if we forget that which makes our faith worth having, if we forget that the story of Christ is a story of love, than we are just talking.

Pastor Sarah reminded me with her words why I believe what I believe. It took a podcast of a sermon from my old church 7 hours away to help me reflect. It does not matter if you are gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, black, white, tall, short, male, female, or any other descriptor by which you identify. You have a place in the Kingdom of God. I’m done scratching my mad place, fuming, crying, and acting hurt or discriminated against.

I am a person of faith, and I have finally remembered what that means to me. To my friends who are people of faith but feel as though there is nowhere for them to express that part of themselves, the link below will take you to a directory of welcoming and affirming churches across the United States.

Also below is a link to the sermon my friend and pastor Rev. Sarah Jackson Shelton of Baptist Church of the Covenant in Birmingham, AL preached this morning. As she reminded us, they will know us by our love.

May it be so.



Welcoming and Affirming Churches - http://bit.ly/2lNsjJ

“The Love of God” - http://bit.ly/NxcLuD

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate