Sometimes I forget

As summer appears to be stretching fervently into September, I am reminded how much I despise hot weather. After spending eight weeks on the road this summer working for Passport Camps (half of which was spent in the blistering 3-digit degree temperatures of Dallas), I am officially home and have moved on to the next season of my life.

I've returned to working for Teavana, a high-end loose tea store. I worked for Teavana for almost two years while in school and honestly never saw myself returning to work for them after quitting just before graduation last fall. However, as I assessed my passions and goals over the summer, I came to the conclusion that my time right now is best served in Birmingham.

Returning to Teavana is turning out to be a dream come true. I hadn't realized how much I missed the day-to-day life of a tea hustler. Being surrounded by the beautiful teapots and exquisite teas every day is better than I expected. Even the retail aspect of my job doesn't seem as daunting as it once did. It's likely that most of this is due to the fact that I'm not trying to work 30+ hours AND be a full-time student.

All that said, in the midst of transitioning out of a difficult summer and into a new job, I remembered that I used to blog. The last time I posted a blog was in May. I attempted to write throughout the summer about my experience working camp. I have come to realize that, unless you have actually worked the specific camp I worked (Passport Missions2), it is impossible to accurately describe the experience. So my blog has sat dormant for over three months.

Sometimes I forget why I even started this thing. Who really cares what I have to say about theology? I am not ordained, nor is my formal training in theology extensive. Most of what I say here comes from personal experience, which everyone has in some form or another. So what makes this blog special? Why would someone choose to take time read these words?

Often I feel as though the people who come here and read these words do so because of my copious Facebook and Twitter propagandizing of newly posted blogs. Other times I think people stumble across it when they search for something about theology, only to be disappointed by my musings. All of these things lead me to wonder why I keep this space up.

But then I remember that this blog is for me, not those who read it. Not really. Though, of course I am thrilled for anyone to read it, and even more so if it causes him or her to think about what I wrote. In truth, though, this space is for me. It is a place where I can put my musings on theology and culture and life and church and change out into a public forum.

So as my life settles down into a more common routine, I hope to do more writing. Even though it pains me to admit it (yet I have come to accept it), it will be a few years before I finally make the step to begin graduate school. Seminary is a ways off, but I want to be prepared when I do finally begin that season of my life. And so this blog will remain so that I have a place to continue to work out my faith and my own personal theology.

I invite any of you who may read this blog to continue down that road with me. Please, feel free to leave feedback and comments on future and past entries. I invite conversation and controversy. And I hope to remember from this point on why I write here, all the while encouraging all of you to find space for your own thoughts and musings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate