I'm in the right place for now


I got the opportunity to spend four days in Nashville last week. It was indescribably wonderful to hang out with my friends whom I miss terribly. I really do have the best friends in the world. The laughter, the hugs, the deep conversations…all were things I needed more than I realized.
But along the way I began to discover something that shocked me. I actually began to miss home. I really don’t like Birmingham. Compared to Nashville, it just isn’t a particularly exciting place to live. Yet I’ve started to make it my life. Now that I have (almost) fully moved into my new living space, I feel like I’m here for the long haul.

On Saturday I realized that moving to Birmingham was the right choice for me after graduating. Was it the most exciting choice? Absolutely not. Was it what I thought I would do after getting my degree? Most certainly not. But was it right? Yes. It’s funny how doing what is right for us isn’t necessarily what we wish we were doing. I would love to be in grad school right now or working in admissions or student affairs at Belmont.
Instead, I’m working a 40-hour a week internship for an hourly wage. But I love it. In fact, it is the most incredible job that I have ever had. When I was in Nashville, I found myself missing being at work. Missing work while on vacation. Not normal, I know. You see, I’m working for a non-profit student ministry, and I feel like I’m doing something legitimate with my life. Of course I wish I was a salaried employee somewhere making enough money to NOT live in my parents’ house, but I have found myself more than willing to sacrifice that particular freedom to be involved with a team of extraordinary people.
So when I say that my visit to Nashville affirmed my decision to move away, it doesn’t mean that I don’t miss Nashville. I miss it every day. I miss my friends in a way that words cannot describe. I miss ambush hugs and Bongo breakfasts and hearing the carillon ring every hour. I miss construction blasting, campus tours, guitars outnumbering students, and even World of Wings. I miss PM sushi, Nicole Ellington Dupree, Belmont basketball, and Glendale Baptist Church. I miss everything about living in Nashville and being a student at Belmont.
But my life is good. I have a great gig with Passport. I have a new church family that is growing on me. I have time to look at my future through the lenses of my past and present. I’m in the right place for now. And I’m learning to accept the truth of that statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate