Disclaimer: hard truths

I don’t know where to begin. This blog may come off as overly sensitive or even “preachy.” I am not sorry for that. I am not sorry at all. And those who may read this and feel that way are probably part of the problem.

Over the last few weeks I have encountered several situations that make me question my place in Christianity. I have literally had to stop and consider whether or not I want to be called a Christian anymore. My beliefs have not changed, but I have looked at the nature of my belief stacked against the way others who call themselves “Christian” act and have found myself at odds.

I am tired of Christians using the Bible to oppress or back up politically motivated arguments. I’m sick of hearing verses of scripture contorted out of context. I’m done dealing with Christians disparaging people who are different from them. Just because you are white, straight, and have never had to deal with sexual issues doesn’t make you perpetually right.

Just because someone is Muslim does not mean that he or she does not have the right to worship freely in the United States. Did you know that a Christian organization is planning a Quran-burning event in Florida? Tennesseans are fighting to keep Muslims from building places of worship. And the Christians are winning. Which means that they are really losing. I have a friend who is Muslim. Someone implied when talking to him that “his people” need to apologize for 9-11. If I had been him, I would have punched that person in the face.

Also, being gay does not make you a second-class citizen. The fight for marriage equality around the country is not only slow but demeaning. The fact that people have to fight for the legal right to marry and be recognized as equal citizens is sickening. And the fact that Christians are openly standing up in opposition to this sought-after equality is ridiculous. Jesus was the great equalizer. He did not disparage anyone but taught that all were worthy of the kingdom of heaven. And, quite frankly, I really don’t care if you think homosexuality is a sin or not. That’s mainly because if we sat and listed your litany of sins, you probably wouldn’t have any rights according to the same passages you use to call homosexuality an abomination.

Many of you may be aware of the YouTube “sensation” that is Antoine Dodson. Dodson has been made a fool of on the internet for his very candid reaction to his sister’s almost rape. His raw emotion, caught unceremoniously on film by a Huntsville news channel, has been mocked. To quote my friend Melissa, “How would YOU feel if someone you loved was almost violated one room away while they slept peacefully?” Rape is never, in any context, funny. This man is venting legitimate hurt and anger, and people are laughing at him. Laughing. My “Christian” friends are laughing.

How is it that the church has so wronged us that we feel it is okay to laugh at rape? Have we been so brainwashed by teachings that we think gay people are going to hell for simply loving who they love? And who are you to say that they are wrong. I’m not trying to be politically correct here. I am ranting out my feelings, and I’m pissed off. Christians have failed me. But I’m not about to shuck the label entirely. I want to call myself Christian and be different. Not the kind of different “not of this world” crap that gets drilled into you in Sunday school. It’s that stuff that makes all of these problems exist. I’m talking actually different. Being willing to love people for who they are and to stand up when others are being racist and sexist, even if you know it will label you. I’m done keeping my mouth shut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate