Credo

I believe...

Those two words are incredibly profound. With them, lines have been drawn for conflict, unions have been formed in peace, and entire faith traditions have been established.

When I wrote those two words a few seconds ago, I had fully intended to jump into a long discourse about the many beliefs I hold. For some reason, that now seems inappropriate. Yes, this blog is my bully pulpit to speak about my many beliefs, but that's not really what I want to do tonight.

Last night I came home from my "Christianity in the Entertainment Industry" class in a absolute frenzy of frustration, anger, and sadness. This class is forcing me to apply everything I have learned over the last two and a half years of being a student of religion. I am having to cautiously weigh the opinions around me in order to form coherent statements that support my own minority opinion (as far as this class is concerned) about the world, especially as it relates to Christianity.

I won't go into specifics about the discussions that ensued last night (my gracious roommate already had to suffer through that venting session), but I will say that I was offended multiple times by statements made during class, both by other students and even my professor. I could have easily spoken out in anger. But I did not. I could have spoken out of sadness. But I did not. I could have spoken in a tone of utter frustration. But I did not. All of these would have been both accurate and, I think, justified responses to the things I encountered.

Yet I provided measured responses and challenges to each point made by my peers. I did my best to be generous, taking into account the fact that none of those in the room have been through the same experiences both in and out of the classroom as I have. And I had to remind myself that this did not make me or my opinions any better than their own. This was very hard for me. It drained me.

I spent today reflecting on last night's class. I came to a conclusion that saddened me more, but also helped me get a better handle on why last night was so difficult. Last night I was grossly offended by statements my peers made about those who are outside the Christian church. Having spent so much time in the School of Religion, I have gotten used to generous and genuine dialog about various faith traditions and the variety that exists within my own.

My conclusion then was really more of a realization. I remembered that a vast number of Christians would not accept the kind of church of which I am a member. A vast number of Christians do not agree with me that other faith traditions have value. It reminded me that I cannot be silent in the things I believe. I have to be willing to provide the differing opinion. I have to be willing to say that Muslims are not evil. I have to speak out when Jews are referred to as "those New York-type people." I cannot be silent about these things.

I titled this blog "credo" because of the first thing I ever learned in Christian Doctrine my sophomore year. The Creeds of my faith, both Apostolic and Nicene, have to do with what we believe as Christians. I offer now my own credo, adapted from the Nicene creed. It is a place for me to start as I pick up the pieces of my faith that was so drastically and unexpectedly shaken last night.

I believe in God, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things seen and unseen.

I believe in Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Child of God, begotten before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with Yaweh, by whom all things were made.

Who for us, men and women, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit and was made tangibly human; and he lived a life of example, filled with love, hope, peace, and liberation. It is this example that teaches us and shows us how to live our lives in similar fashion: showing love to all, having hope for tomorrow, seeking peace in all things, and working toward the liberation of all people from oppression.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from Yaweh and the Christ; who with Yaweh and the Christ together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets, a divine Other.

And I believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge the beauty of liturgy; and I look for the ways I may join my community in furthering the living goals and life-message of our faith. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate