continuing our worship

"As we continue our worship in the daily patterns of life, may we immerse ourselves in the mystery of the Holy, and may we always seek to dwell where Love is the language most spoken and Peace is the path most taken."

For several weeks, this has been the unison congregational response to our worship at Glendale, almost like a communal benediction. This response connected with my spirit for some reason so much so that I committed it to memory and pray it each day.

But why? Why this particular response?

I think this concept of continuing worship is what first drew me to these words. I cannot begin to count how many times I have both heard and said the phrase, "Worship is a lifestyle, not an event." We do not really have to say that at my church. We belong to a bundle of life, and we live this life through one another.

And then there is this concept of "daily patterns of life." As someone who finds himself stuck in the monotony of daily schedules, reframing my life patterns as an act of continuing worship is oddly refreshing. Is it really possible for me to immerse myself in the mystery of the Holy by recognizing God in what I deem monotony? That would seem exceptionally mysterious indeed.

Of course the latter half of this response truly resonates with my soul. I have said many times before how important love is, how much more important it is than any other concept...at least to me. How can we, the global Christian community, strive to make Love our primary language? How can Peace be the path that is worn, as opposed to the road less traveled?

This prayer is so packed with meaning. As I have committed it to memory, I have been struck with the profound impact reciting it on a daily basis has had on my life. It makes me wonder what I have missed in discounting the memorization of scripture in my childhood, having nearly completely forgotten the plethora of verses from my days of Bible Drill. It is one of the reasons I love call and response in church. Communal experiences in worship help us connect beyond and through our differences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding God in the Rhythm

The gospel according to Gaga

Finding solace amidst messages of hate